Monday, February 25, 2008

Note-taking Quiz & Idioms Quiz for Thursday

Hi 555L Students!

I just finished writing your quiz for Thursday. As you already know, Mary Ann Jones from the Sierra College Health Center will be giving a 10-15 minute lecture in our class. While she is giving her presentation, you will be taking notes. When she is finished, you will be able to ask her questions for clarification.

After Mary Ann finishes, we will have two academic idiom presentations from Maria & Santiago. Please take notes during these presentations as well. When they are finished, you will also be able to ask clarification questions.

Then it will be time for your first note-taking quiz. Thursday will be my first time "hearing" Mary Ann's lecture, but I had to write your quiz today. How did I do this? I brainstormed what I thought Mary Ann would talk to you about! You can do this, too. I checked out the Sierra College Health Center website.
Have I ever been a Sierra College student? No.
Have I ever gone to the Health Center to be treated? Just once to have a TB test done.
If you've been to the Health Center, then you might already know more than me. You will use your notes to answer 19 short-answer questions about the Health Center.

The second part of the quiz will be academic idioms. Study the notes that you took on February 14th. Some of your classmates have also posted their entire idiom presentations here on the blog--super helpful to everyone (including me!). You will not be allowed to use any of your notes from February 14th for the quiz. Like I wrote in my February 17th blog posting, you will have a matching exercise--14 idioms will be listed as well as their definitions/alternative sayings. The second part will ask you to chose two idioms and write a clear situation or sentence for each idiom. Your example must show that you know when it would be appropriate to use this idiom.

See you tomorrow!
Grace

No comments: