Idiom
“Drop someone a line”
The definition for “Drop someone a line” is to write a short letter,
Send e-mail or write a short note to someone.
The explanation is that this idiom is – often used when someone is -
saying that s/he will contact you in an informal manner.
An alternative way to say the same thing is: ‘I’ll e-mail you’.
I interviewed 3 Americans. The first was Tim Spely.
Tim told me the meaning of the idiom
“Drop someone a line’ is to give a short respond at a future date.
He told me two alternative ways to say the same things are “I’ll get in
touch with you” and I’ll e-mail you”.
The situation when this idiom would be used, is when you ask a friend-
to come over for lunch, and they reply that they will “drop you a line”
when they have some free time.
Another idiom that is close to this: “I’ll get in touch with you”
and “I’ll e-mail you”.
The type of situation that he would use the idiom is when he-
replies with a short message to an invitation to an upcoming event.
My second American was Molly, and she told me the meaning of “Drop someone a line” send a short message or a letter to someone,
Alternative way to say I’ll keep in touch with you or I’ll call you.
The situations when this idiom would be used: write to
someone or invite a friend, “Drop me a line sometime”
What type of situation she would use the idiom Molly said to me this
is very commonly used request to communicate with someone .
My 3rd American was Ron Harris.
Ron told me meaning of ‘drop someone a line’ to get a hold of
someone or to contact someone.
Alternative ways to say the same thing he told me ‘I’ll get in touch,
with you, and I’ll call you.
Situations when this idiom would be used: When people are planning
On speaking to each other.
What type of situations Ron would use this idiom: when talking to
a close friends and would like to contact them at a different time.
.
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment